Posts tagged “South Portland Street Suspension Bridge

Bridge over the Clyde

Image

Work on the South Portland Street Suspension Bridge began in 1851, but after the masonry towers had been completed and the main suspension chains erected, the south tower split from top to bottom.

Extensive repairs and renewals were carried out in 1870 and again in 1926, but the masonry towers built in 1853 are the oldest surviving elements in Glasgow’s Clyde bridges.